The Pulse of the American Consumer is focused on continued insight into consumer sentiments for businesses across all industries.
This week, U.S. consumers gave an update on how they are feeling about current events and societal plans related to COVID-19 and the reopening of our country. They also weighed in on their CTV streaming choices and why they have joined or cancelled services in the last three months. In order for businesses to have the most success connecting with their consumers, they have to understand them – what they are interested in, what they need, and how they feel.
At ENGINE, we have the real-time pulse of the consumer, today, and always. Throughout 2021, we will be offering weekly insights through identifying important data points and trends from the voice of the consumer.
KEY FINDINGS AS OF April 25, 2021:
If you would like more information on ENGINE CARAVAN surveys, contact us below:
At ENGINE, we will be keeping up with the pulse of the consumer throughout 2021, and are regularly running our CARAVAN surveys on current social issues. Contact us at email@example.com for more information or for the full CARAVAN survey findings.
This Online CARAVAN® omnibus surveys were conducted on January 8-10, January 15-17, January 22-24, January 29-31, February 5-7, February 12-14, February 19-21, February 26-28, March 5-7, March 12-14, March 19-21, March 26-28, April 2-4, April 9-11, April 16-18, and April 23-25, 2021. Approximately 1,000 adults selected from opt-in panels were surveyed. The results are also weighted to U.S. Census data to be demographically representative.
Written by the CARAVAN team at ENGINE Insights.
The Pulse of the American Consumer
How concerned are you currently about these issues?
- The continued number of incidents involving civilians and police officers
- Total Concerned: 85%
- Very Concerned: 50%
- [African Americans (85%) are more likely to be very concerned about this issue than their Hispanic (56%) and White (46%) counterparts. Women also show a higher rate of concern compared with men (57% vs. 42% very concerned).]
- Not being able to reach a high enough overall immunity level in the United States due to ongoing hesitancy/refusal to receive the COVID-19 vaccine
- Total Concerned: 73%
- Very Concerned: 39%
- Adults residing in the Northeast are most likely to be very concerned about this compared to other regions of the U.S. (51% vs. 38% in the South, 35% in the West and 34% in the Midwest).]
- Recent legislation several U.S. states are introducing to increase restrictions on voting
- Total Concerned: 71% (+7%)
- Very Concerned: 41% (+9%)
- Changes referenced are to data collected two weeks ago (April 9-11).
- Contracting the Coronavirus
- Total Concerned: 71%(+7%)
- Very Concerned: 38% (+4%)
- Changes referenced are to data collected last week (April 16-18).
Below are several topics that have been discussed and debated a lot recently. To what extent do you agree or disagree with each statement related to them? While the general public largely agrees on these matters, there are noteworthy differences in agreement based on political party ID.
- More than ever, I believe widescale reform of police training and tactics is needed in the United States
- Strongly/Somewhat Agree: 81%
- Strongly Agree: 46%
- [92% of Democrats vs. 65% of Republicans]
- Once you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, there should no longer be a need to wear a mask/face covering in an outdoors setting
- Strongly/Somewhat Agree: 59%
- Strongly Agree: 31%
- [71% of Republicans vs. 52% of Democrats]
- Once you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, there should no longer be a need to wear a mask/face covering in an indoors setting
- Strongly/Somewhat Agree: 49%
- Strongly Agree: 25%
- [59% of Republicans vs. 40% of Democrats]
- Washington, D.C. should be formally recognized as the 51st state
- Strongly/Somewhat Agree: 55%
- Strongly Agree: 26%
- [74% of Democrats vs. 33% of Republicans]
As the COVID pandemic continues to stabilize, which of these types of places/services do you anticipate going to or using in the next month or two?
Consumers are planning on using/attending more services and events, as across the board venues should anticipate seeing increased levels of activity. Changes referenced are to data collected one month ago (March 26-28).
- Dining establishments (Net): 64% (+5%)
- Indoor restaurants: 54% (+8%)
- Outdoor restaurants: 48% (+10%)
- Stores (for in-store shopping): 60% (+7%)
- A large event (Net): 40% (+10%)
- A large OUTSIDE event, such as a sporting event, concert or festival: 33% (+9%)
- A large event INSIDE an area or public building, such as a concert, sporting event or convention: 25% (+7%)
- Hair/nail salons/barbershops/tattoo/massage parlors: 39% (+6%)
- Staying at a hotel: 37% (+10%)
- Movie theaters: 36% (+7%)
- Flying on an airplane: 2% (+8%)
- Leisure establishments such as bowling alleys and arcades: 26% (+7%)
- Gyms/fitness centers: 25% (+3%)
- Bars/Clubs: 23% (+3%)
- Public transportation such as trains or buses: 17% (+4%)
How much do you approve or disapprove of the job President Biden is doing?
- *Among general population American adults:
- 52% Approve (-6%)
- 29% Disapprove (+3%)
- 19% Neither approve nor disapprove (+3%)
- +23% Net approval rating (approve-disapprove) (-9%)
- *Among Registered Voters
- 56% Approve (-7%)
- 31% Disapprove (+4%)
- 13% Neither approve nor disapprove (+3%)
- +25% Net approval rating (approve-disapprove) (-11%)
A Look at CTV
62% have joined a streaming video subscription in the past 3 months [No change], while 50% have cancelled at least one [+2%].
Why did you JOIN any TV subscription services in the past 3 months?
- 26% Specific shows (no change)
- 23% Word of mouth recommendation from family/friends (+2%)
- 17% Free trial, special deal or promotion (-4%)
- 17% Saw ads for it (+2%)
- 16% Recommendation from an app/website (+2%)
- 14% Free with cable subscription (+2%)
- 13% Want kid friendly content (+2%)
- 10% Sports/games for specific team (no change)
- 9% Previously cancelled, coming back (+1%)
- 9% Free with Xbox/ game deal (+2%)
Why did you CANCEL any TV subscription services in the past 3 months?
- 36% Price/I wasn’t using it enough to justify the cost (+5%)
- 25% End of free trial (-4%)
- 17% End of show that I was interested in (+2%)
- 15% I have too many streaming services (+4%)
- 14% End of sports season that I was interested in (+3%)
- 14% Nothing left to watch/wasn’t using/ watching anything (no change)
- 12% I found a service I like better (-1%)
- 11% It no longer carries the content I signed up for (+3%)
- 7% Now have cable (+1%)
Dig deeper with the ENGINE Insights COVID Dashboard
The ENGINE COVID-19 dashboard delivers an easy-to-use, self-serve platform providing access to all of our COVID-19 tracking data including industry specific deep-dives and online behavioral data. This tool puts ENGINE’s data in your hands to uncover meaningful insights to your specific business questions.